Questions for Steve Sanger
Chairman and CEO, General Mills, Inc.
(approx. 16 minutes)
- Why use an advertising agency at all? Why not outsource
it, coordinate it or use an in-house agency?
- One of the ways agencies are being described today
are as manufacturers of 30 second commercials. Is
it a mistake to expect strategic thinking from an
- Do you have any personal experience with an advertising
agency that has made a contribution to your business
beyond good advertising other than print ads and TV?
If you do, what did they do?
- Does advertising have a role in the creation or
support of these great brands that you have?
- If you had to define the single most important
thing that an agency can do, what would you say it
- In the process of creative great advertising, does
the agency get involved in strategic discussions and
planning with you and your people?
- One of the issues is when they should come in.
There's a view that they should come in at the end;
that the strategy should be developed long before
the agency is involved and that the agency should
be given the strategy to execute.
- Are there any specific examples where the agency
made a strategic contribution that helped to build
- Can you discuss the issue of intimacy and objectivity
with the agency? Is that a useful thing to have in
- You've used the word relationship a few times.
What is the importance of the relationship itself
between the agency and advertiser to the end result?
- Do agencies have a future in the next millenium?
- Given your experience, do you think they can do