On-Campus
Exhibits
Industry
About AEF | Newsletter | Site Map | Legal | Advanced Search
 
Print Version

Hector Orci, Co-Chairman, La Agencia de Orci & Asociados
March 29, 2000. 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Eastern


moderator: please ask Hector a question Isa

moderator: Isa asked: Hi! What are the current numbers/statistics of Hispanics watching TV in English?

HectorOrci: Most Hispanics speak English at some level of proficiency. Only 20% are fairly dependent on Spanish. The remaining 80% are very English competent. About 90% of Hispanics watch TV in English.

HectorOrci: However, they tend to watch more Spanish. Having a choice is great.

HectorOrci: Does that answer it?

Isa: Why are Hispanic agencies not producing more work (targeted toward that 90%) in English, even if they watch more TV in Spanish?

HectorOrci: Because clients and Hispanic agencies believe it is more efficient, i.e. cheaper, to reach them in Spanish, since they handle both languages.

Isa: Are clients (a.k.a. corporate America) aware of the statistics & thus the need to possibly put more $ behind Hispanic targeted ads?

HectorOrci: Many are aware and choose to ignore the data. Many have heard the data and would prefer not to believe it.

moderator: Thank you Isa. Isanmiguel has a question -- we will turn the floor over to Isanmiguel in a moment.

moderator: Isanmiguel please restate your question to the group.

lsanmiguel: Hi Mr. Orci What is your opinion on whether those Hispanics who do not speak or understand Spanish very well would like to see advertising targeted at the Hispanic market in English?

HectorOrci: Spanish speaking Hispanics who watch English TV many times ignore the advertising in English because it is irrelevant to them. While the programming can be of interest the advertising many times is not.

HectorOrci: It is of course, possible to do great English stuff for Latinos, but that is rare.

HectorOrci: It's rare because clients do not recognize its value.

HectorOrci: English is a critical language for all Hispanics to master. And indeed the day you step across the border, the process of learning English begins.

HectorOrci: It seems that the US is not yet used to the idea of being a country where more than one language is spoken as a matter of course.

HectorOrci: This is of course is changing as Spanish comes out of the barrio and joins English and Chinese as one of the three world languages that will survive and thrive.

HectorOrci: There are more than 400 million Spanish speakers in this hemisphere and only about 30 million are in the US.

HectorOrci: Many futurists believe that the US is already a bilingual country. Which is not a big deal since futures that predict the present are not as interesting as the ones who predict the future.

HectorOrci: People who predict the past are known as historians.

HectorOrci: We should be aware that media directed to Latinos is increasing dramatically.

HectorOrci: And many media providers to the market are quite profitable.

HectorOrci: Especially the Spanish media. There is English media for Hispanics; mostly print and some broadcast.

moderator: We are going to open this discussion to the entire group for the last 10 minutes. Please speak freely.

HectorOrci: Bilingual efforts are also making money.

HectorOrci: That's in Radio, some TV and a lot of print.

BeaBeltran: Will we see more bilingual ads in general market media?

HectorOrci: The reality is that Latinos value both languages. Use them both regularly and competently. We will see more of everything in relation to persuading Latinos.

BeaBeltran: What about the acceptance of Spanish advertising in the General market, by the general market? What are your thoughts?

HectorOrci: From OOH to more newspapers and magazines. It goes without saying that TV and Radio are growing dramatically.

HectorOrci: Yo quiero taco bell...

HectorOrci: That, by the way, is not Spanish. That’s English.

Isa: Yupi.com, Volkswagen, etc.

HectorOrci: I know that because all the English speakers understand it.

HectorOrci: Isa. I do not understand your questions.

Isa: There seems to be a comfort level with English speakers, picking up key phrases.... such as "yo quiero..."

Isa: which make them feel part of the group...

HectorOrci: Its seems easy and maybe safe. It used to be thought of as a low class language.

Isa: There are current ads by yupi.com & Volkswagen which use Spanish/English in one single ad...

HectorOrci: Using both languages in an ad is doable and effective when done right.

Isa: That too, seems to make Spanish more accepted/normal (if you will) to monolingual America.

HectorOrci: You are right. They are getting used to us being here.

moderator: We are going to wrap this up now. Hector, do you have any parting comments?

HectorOrci: Let's do it again. Thanks for your participation, everybody.

 

Marcia, aef.com

Copyright © 2000 aef.com. All rights reserved.

 

irish-civil